A couple weeks ago, I went to this restaurant in my neighbourhood, called ‘Lee Chen Asian Bistro’, and ordered a serving of shrimp lettuce wrap. I really enjoyed the dish and decided to create my own lettuce wrap. Instead of using shrimp, I am using minced lean pork meat. Lettuce wrap dishes are really good for the summer as the crunchiness from the lettuce adds a sense of freshness to the dish. I hope you will enjoy this dish too.
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- minced lean pork meat (one fist size)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 stalk of medium carrot (diced)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- cooking oil
- Sriracha for sauce (optional)
- Marinate the minced meat overnight in wine, soy sauce and salt.
- Heat up the wok with cooking oil, and then add in the garlic and onions. Before adding the carrots, cook the onion until it turns lightly brown.
- Add the chicken stock in portions to soften the carrots. Season the ingredients with salt.
- When the carrots have turned to a more darkened orange, take the ingredients out of the wok.
- Add oil to the wok and start cooking the meat. Stir in the teriyaki sauce while making sure to separate the meat into individual chunks.
- When the pork has turned to a brown color, add back the carrots and onions, and simmer on medium heat in some chicken stock until the meat is tender and the carrots have softened.
- Now you are ready to serve the dish with lettuce. Sriracha can be used for dipping sauce.