Although Mexican cuisine isn’t Canadian, but I have come to love a number of Mexican dishes. They are simple to make and very heartwarming. Of course, being Chinese, I paired Quesadilla with a Chinese cold appetizer, one my favorites, cucumber salad.
- ~286g skinless chicken breast (diced to cubes)
- 4-5 tablespoon Kraft Original BBQ sauce
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 tomato (diced)
- Tex Mex Cheese Blend (PC Brand)
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 Corn tortillas (double baked)
- Marinate the chicken overnight in Kraft BBQ sauce (coat the chicken evenly with the sauce in a zip-lock bag)
- Caramelize the onion in a hot pan with cooking oil before adding in the marinated chicken. Add 1-2 tablespoon of Kraft BBQ sauce along with 1 cup of chicken stock to the pan. Cook the chicken on medium heat until tender (about 10 min) while stirring every minute.
- Once the chicken is done, set it aside, it’s time to make the quesadilla!
- Spread some butter on the bottom of the tortilla and then lay it flat on a non-stick pan (medium heat). Sprinkle a layer of the cheese on one half of the tortilla. This is followed by a layer of the caramelized chicken and diced tomato, all to top it off with another layer of cheese (and jalapeno).
- Fold the tortilla in half, pressing onto it firmly. Gently flip the tortilla onto the other side and let it cook for a few minutes. Now you got yourself a quesadilla!
- The alternative to pan-frying is to bake it. I tried this by sandwiching the filling between two sheets of tortilla. In terms of flavor and appearance, I liked the pan-fried version.
- For dipping, I prefer either sour cream or no sauce at all 🙂
Side dish: Asian Cucumber Salad
Slice 3 mini cucumbers into thin pieces, marinate in salt first for about 15 min until water comes out. Then squeeze out as much water from the cucumbers as possible. This ensures the cucumbers to be SUPER crisp even after adding the sauce.
For the sauce, use 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and ½ tablespoon of soy sauce. Add the sauce with the cucumbers and mix well. Then top it off with a few drops of sesame oil. This salad goes great with the sizzling hot quesadillas.